Wednesday 29 October 2008

Lovemarks

Inspired by his speech at our North West Creative Forum a few weeks back, I bought a copy of Kevin Roberts' Lovemarks. It looks like the kind of coffee table book you'd want to hit a hairdresser with but is actually a thoughtful and interesting take on branding and how it affects our lives.

You can find a much more elequent explaination of what a Lovemark is here but, to my mind, a Lovemark is a brand that I trust beyond reason, a brand that I never doubt, a brand that, even if does something I don't like, I can shrug my shoulders and say "I'll grow into it" or "it will make sense in a few years".

Here is my personal list of Lovemarks.

DKNY
Lego
Habitat
Vaseline
Wii
Brett Easton Ellis
Coronation Street
Bliss Cosmetics
Red Stripe
MAC
Esprit
Technics
Camper
Talking Heads
Whiskers
Topshop
Lost
Apple
Marble Brewery
Felix da Housecat
Norsk Vodka
Dr Who
Nintendo
Arne Jacobson
Sara Lee
Yorkshire Tea
John Lewis
Belle & Sebastian
Google
HBO
The RI Christmas Lectures
Le Creuset
Morrissey
Wired Magazine
Bose
American Apparel
Volkswagen
Helvetica
Virgin Atlantic
Marmite
Fujifilm
Worms (the game)
Mario Kart
Lonely Planet
Stephen Fry
Grassmere Gingerbread
Del Monte
The Wire
Black Sambucca
St Etienne
Havianas
Campari
Marrakech
Norman Foster
MUJI
The Sanctuary, Covent Garden
Erasure
More4
Julia Roberts
W Hotels
Oxford Marmalade
Vivienne Westwood
Bergen Bread
Penguin
Eastpak
Dyson
Radiohead
Sailor Jerrys Rum
Veuve Cliquot
Heals
Mandarina Duck
Kenneth Cole
Emirates
Franz Ferdinand
Converse
Berlin

Phew.

1 comment:

NIGEL HUGHES said...

It was a great presentation from the Saatchi bloke.

For what it's worth, my own favourite Lovemarks include apple, Land Rover, Berghaus, Neil Young, River Cottage, Chumbawamba (god they'd hate that), Timberland, Iceland (the country, not Kerry) and, while they're at it: Saatchi & Saatchi.

Ear I Am