Tuesday, 5 January 2010

Eating Animals

Jonathan Safran Foer?s Eating Animals (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eating_animals) is being published in the UK in March. Pretty timely for me; the arguments for turning vegetarian are stacking up at the moment and I suspect by March I won?t need much pushing.

I?ve never been a vegetarian, which I think surprises some people. I?m a girl, I love animals, I?m fairly left-leaning and I had a troubled adolescence ? classic ingredients really. I have played with the idea on several occasions but always fallen short of making that step. I?d like to say that I had really justified my omnivourousness to myself but in recent years I?ve realised that my half-hearted arguments about the incompleteness of the vegetarian diet were just that. Laziness and a lack of willingness to submit to inconvenience have taken me so far, not because the arguments for vegetarianism have been (for me) compelling, but because I was unwilling to research them properly.


A friend once pointedly told me that for every gram of cocaine sold in the UK someone in the developing nations involved in it?s production died. I doubt the exactitude of this fact but the fact remains ? non-medicinal drugs are totally unnecceasry luxury of those who can afford to subsidise the killing of other human beings for their pleasure. Meat is a totally unnecceasry luxury for those who can afford it. I suspect that when the cost is laid out for me my conclusions will be inevitable?

More to follow, I guess?

3 comments:

minifig said...

Being veggie is much easier that you'd think. But then I guess I've been practicing for rather a long time! (18 years now. Blimey.)

Anonymous said...

Aren’t humans amazing Animals? They kill wildlife - birds, deer, all kinds of cats, coyotes, beavers, groundhogs, mice and foxes by the million in order to protect their domestic animals and their feed.

Then they kill domestic animals by the billion and eat them. This in turn kills people by the million, because eating all those animals leads to degenerative - and fatal - - health conditions like heart disease, stroke, kidney disease, and cancer.

So then humans spend billions of dollars torturing and killing millions of more animals to look for cures for these diseases.

Elsewhere, millions of other human beings are being killed by hunger and malnutrition because food they could eat is being used to fatten domestic animals.

Meanwhile, few people recognize the absurdity of humans, who kill so easily and violently, and once a year send out cards praying for "Peace on Earth."


~Revised Preface to Old MacDonald’s Factory Farm by C. David Coates~

Check out this informative and inspiring video on why people choose vegan: http://veganvideo.org/

Also see Gary Yourofsky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bagt5L9wXGo

roye said...

Consistent with "reverse positioning" understand the REAL Second coming would equate with The Matrix's Anti-Christ, the fake battle of good and evil which will come at the end.
I have spoken on this issue in years past. Understanding how they use the political environment to redefine people's value system, realize anyone who speaks of the old world and its ways will envoke hatred. So when/if the Anti-Christ comes along speaking of reverting back to what liberalism would consider repressed and immoral may be the only hope to salvage the god's favor and keep moving forward rather than begin the 1000 year clock. The fake Second Coming will feed into this political enviornment.
Cheap Flights to Durban
Flights to Durban
Durban Flights